Volunteer opportunities at the PGH Equality Center
The PGH Equality Center, being a totally volunteer/donations run organization is well aware of the importance of volunteers. Without volunteers, the Center wouldn’t exist, and the PEC is looking for fresh faces and energy to get involved!
*All volunteers MUST pass their ACT 33 (Criminal Background) AND ACT 34 (PA Child Abuse) clearance checks before beginning service with the Center. If you already have clearances, please bring a copy with you to our New Volunteer training sessions. If you do not have your clearances you can complete the clearance applications at the training.
The PEC offers a number of opportunities for people to volunteer for events.
- OUTrageous BINGO: The PECs primary fundraiser is OUTrageous BINGO.There are nine BINGOs a year, and volunteers are asked to help ‘run’ winning BINGO tickets up to the moderator, sell special games, set up the event/break down the event. This is a great monthly opportunity for those interested, and the 400-person event is guaranteed to be a good time!
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The CRIS (Community Resource Information Specialist) Desk is the beating heart of the PEC. Staff members open and close the Center, monitor events, and answer the PEC phone-line (412.422.0114). Members of the community call looking for social resources, housing resources, and information on services for GLBT individuals in the Pittsburgh area.
For more information please contact email@example.com
The PEC Youth Drop-in provides a safe space for LGBTQIA+ and allied youth ages 14-18. Youth come for games, conversation andnetworking in a safeand welcoming environment.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PEC Board Committees
The PGH Equality Center needs you to join a committee. Committees are an opportunity to volunteer with the PEC on a regular basis but don’t demand a great deal of individual responsibility, and all projects are accomplished through teamwork. Committee members are expected to attend one meeting a month, and work on projects when able. PEC committee opportunities include:
- Development Committee- Are you a financial planner? Do you have financial savvy? Development Committee members are involved in grant writing and finding funding opportunities for the PEC , long term financial planning, corporate/community partnerships, fundraising and capital campaigns.
- IT Committee- If you’re a tech wiz, this is the committee for you. The IT Committee handles the PEC’s website, wireless, hardware and software that is available at the Center, cable/phone issues, tech support and training and electronic document management.
- PR/Communications- The PEC needs members of the PR/Communications committee helps to develop ‘branding,’, maintains the PEC’s blogs/social networking devices, helps to provide content for the PEC newsletter, generates/distributes flyers, generates the eblast and PEC focus groups. The PR/Communications committee is here to get the word out about the PEC, its programs and its services!
- Outreach- The Outreach Committee builds relationships between the PEC and the larger Pittsburgh community. If you’re interested in volunteer recruitment, diversity outreach, building community advisory boards, doing outreach to local high schools/universities, and building partnerships with other Pittsburgh non-profits and community organizations, then this is the committee for you!
- Programming- The PEC provides a safe space for members of Pittsburgh’s LGBTQIA+ population, but the PEC also wants to develop fun, quality programming for Pittsburgh’s LGBTQIA+ social scene. If you’re an events planner; if you know how to throw one of the best parties around, then this is the committee for you!
Programming handles the GLCC’s movie nights, family/youth/older adult programming, education and research, library/PEC archives, and special events.
Download and Print the Volunteer Packet
Please find the Volunteer Packet here. You can select File > Download and print the Volunteer Packet to complete then submit for volunteering here at PEC.
5840 Ellsworth Ave, Suite #100 (Second Floor), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15232